Kick off Folic Acid Awareness Week with more delicious ways to get this powerhouse vitamin each day
HOPE, MN – (Jan. 9, 2012) – Reaping the benefits of a diet high in folic acid – the B vitamin essential for the production of new cells, preventing birth defects, and reducing the risk of stroke – is as easy as adding sunflower seeds and products to your daily diet. These superfood seeds are one of nature’s top sources of folic acid and vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that scavenges cancer causing free radicals, supports brain and heart health, and promotes healthy skin, hair and nails. This week, National Folic Acid Awareness Week, is the perfect time to start adding sunflower seeds to your daily diet and automatically tick the folic acid box off your nutritional requirement list.
Sunrich Naturals, makers of SoL™ Sunflower Beverage, offer the following tips for packing your meals and snacks with folic acid:
- Instead of croutons, sprinkle some roasted sunflower seeds on your salad.
- Whip up a delicious breakfast or snack smoothie with SōL™ Sunflower Beverage.
- Pour SōL™ Sunflower Beverage on your morning cereal and into your cup of coffee.
- Grind sunflower seeds into a powder and add to your morning oatmeal or pancake mix.
- Use cold pressed sunflower oil in salads, baking and cooking.
- Increase nutrition in bread and muffins by adding sunflower seeds as you bake.
- Coat chicken or fish with sunflower seeds for added goodness.
- At the grocery store, look for chips and energy bars made with sunflower oil
- Add sunflower seeds to your stuffing mix – its toasty flavor and crunch tastes great!
SoL™ Sunflower Beverage, introduced last year, is widely available in health food and natural food retailers nationwide and Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Markets. This delicious nondairy beverage – available in Vanilla, Original, and Unsweetened flavors – is made from wholesome sunflower seeds grown on American family farms. Vegan and naturally free of the eight most common food allergens – which include soy, dairy, wheat, and tree nuts – SoL™ provides an excellent source of vitamin E, folic acid, calcium, vitamin D, and phosphorus. Each 8 oz. serving provides 20 percent of the recommended daily allowance for folic acid.
A lack of folic acid can result in a number of health conditions including heart disease, cancer, obesity, macular degeneration, bone loss, Parkinson’s disease, muscular fatigue, depression, schizophrenia, anemia and rheumatoid arthritis.
Recipes including SōL™ Sunflower Beverage can be found online at www.sunrich.com.
About Sunrich Naturals®
Sunrich Naturals®, maker of SōL Refreshing Sunflower Beverage, has been working with American family farms to produce wholesome organic and natural foods for over 25 years. Sunrich Naturals® believes that healthy, good food starts with a healthy, good Earth. This simple belief guides everything we do – how we work with farmers, handle and process our grains, and produce our natural and organic foods. Our products can be found in many fine supermarkets, natural food retailers, and health food stores nationwide.
Sunrich Naturals® is a brand of SunOpta Inc., a leader in natural and organic ingredients, raw materials and consumer products and the largest sunflower processor in the United States.
Healthy Living Marketing/ Common Language