Keep your mind sharp and focused all day long by adding these super seeds to your meals and snacks
Hope, MN – (February 20, 2012) – Regardless of age, most of us endure those times when our brains just can’t seem to get in gear. Experiencing “brain fog,” a “senior moment,” or losing your train of thought mid-sentence can be irritating at best and personally or professionally costly at worst. Happily, there is a lot you can do to help your brain perform optimally at any age. In honor of Brain Awareness Week, taking place March 12 – 18, commit to feeding your brain healthy doses of the nutrients it craves throughout each day. One of the easiest ways to do this is to add sunflower seeds and beverages to your meals and snacks.
“Our brains need amino acids, antioxidants, B vitamins, and healthy fats to maintain optimal function and prevent memory loss and cognitive decline as we age,” said Christina Fitzgerald, MS, RD, LDN, of Nourished Nutrition and Wellness Services in Chicago. “Sunflower kernels are one of nature’s most powerful brain boosters, delivering whopping amounts of these nutrients in every portion. Sprinkling sunflower kernels on cereals and salads, enjoying sunflower “milks” like SoL™ Sunflower Beverage on its own or in recipes, and snacking on sunflower seeds or SoL™ smoothies each day makes feeding your head a “no-brainer!”
Sunflower seeds are among the richest sources of lignans and linoleic acid – healthy phytochemicals and fats that are vitally important for brain health. They also contain one of the highest plant sources of choline, an amino acid essential for memory and cognitive function. And when it comes to antioxidant protection, it’s hard to beat these super seeds. Each 8 ounce serving of SoL™ Sunflower Beverage, for example, contains 50% of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin E, the free radical scavenging nutrient that protects the brain from oxidative stress that leads to decline. New research has shown that people who consumed moderate amounts of Vitamin E from food sources lowered their risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 67%. Sunflower seeds and beverages are also chock full of folate, the B vitamin essential for brain development in the womb and enhanced performance throughout our entire lives.
Here are five easy ways to get the goodness of sunflower kernels into your daily meals and snacks:
- Breakfast or snack smoothies. Combine SoL™ Sunflower Beverage in a blender with some ice cubes and other brain-friendly foods like blueberries, avocados, or dark chocolate. Sweeten to taste, whiz, and enjoy.
- Sprinkle a handful of sunflower seeds on salads at lunch or dinner, or add them to recipes for extra crunch.
- Give your kids sunflower seeds in the shell to snack on at movies or after school. For about the same amount of calories in a sugar-laden candy bar, you can feed your kids something they already love to eat, with the added bonus of about 10 grams of protein and a brain-nourishing dose of healthy fats in each one cup serving.
- Trade up on your post-workout beverage. Instead of downing a sugary energy drink, amplify the good work that aerobic exercise just did for your brain by quenching your thirst with a cold glass of SoL™. Lower in calories and sugar than most energy drinks, SoL™ is creamy, delicious, and full of the antioxidants, phosphorus, and phytonutrients your body and mind need to recover after a workout.
- Enjoy smarter desserts! The great news for dessert lovers is that dark chocolate contains hefty amounts of brain-friendly antioxidants. Combining dark chocolate with sunflower seeds and beverages in recipes – and adding choline-rich eggs into the mix – results in delicious finale after dinner and feeds your head while you sleep! Try this scrumptious chocolate soufflé recipe for your next family meal or dinner party.
In addition to sunflower seeds and beverages’ great nutritional profile, they meet the burgeoning demand for foods and products that are free of common allergens such as dairy, soy, tree nuts, and gluten. Allergy-friendly SoL™ Sunflower Beverage works great in place of dairy or nut milk in recipes, too.
SoL™ is available in three delicious flavors – Unsweetened, Original, and Vanilla – in shelf stable, aseptic 32 ounce Tetra Pak containers. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price is $2.69 for 32 ounces.
To learn more about SoL™, visit www.sunrich.com.
About Sunrich Naturals®
Sunrich Naturals®, maker of SoL™ Refreshing Sunflower Beverage, has been working with American family farms to produce wholesome organic and natural foods for over 25 years. Sunrich Naturals® believes that healthy, good food starts with a healthy, good Earth. This simple belief guides everything we do – how we work with farmers, handle and process our grains, and produce our natural and organic foods. Our products can be found in many fine supermarkets, natural food retailers, and health food stores nationwide.
Sunrich Naturals® is a brand of SunOpta Inc., a leader in natural and organic ingredients, raw materials and consumer products and the largest sunflower processor in the United States.
Healthy Living Marketing/ Common Language