With most of North America well into the Fall season, here’s a simple-to-prepare healthier alternative on a traditional cold weather soup recipe.
SoL Seafood Chowder
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: none
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (about 12 oz.), diced (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb. red potatoes, diced
- 16 oz. clam juice
- 2 cups Sunrich SoL Sunflower Beverage, Original flavor
- 1 lb. little neck clams, scrubbed clean
- 1 lb. cod, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, ribs removed, leaves cut into 1/2-inch-thick ribbons
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
In a large saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, fennel, salt, pepper and bay leaf and cook, covered, until softened, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, clam juice and Sunrich Naturals SoL Original and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, 15 minutes. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
Transfer 3 cups of the vegetable-soup mixture to a blender. Carefully blend over high speed until smooth; pour back into the saucepan. Add the clams, cod and chard to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until the clams open up and the fish is firm and opaque, 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the parsley. Transfer to serving bowls and serve immediately.