Folic Acid Awareness Week kicks off today. Folic acid is a B vitamin essential for the production of new cells, preventing birth defects, and reducing the risk of stroke. It is especially important for expectant mothers.
Sunflower seeds are naturally high in folic acid and there are many products on supermarket shelves today that are made from these highly nutritious seeds. Each 8 ounce serving of SoL Sunflower Beverage offers 20% of the recommended daily allowance for folic acid.
If you’re looking for more ways to add folic acid into your diet, here are some ideas for incorporating more sunflower seeds and products into your daily routine so you can reap the benefits of this powerful vitamin:
- Instead of croutons, sprinkle some roasted sunflower seeds on your salad.
- Whip up a delicious breakfast or snack smoothie with SoL Sunflower Beverage.
- Pour SoL over your morning cereal and/or into your cup of coffee or tea.
- Grind sunflower seeds into a powder and add to your morning oatmeal or pancake mix.
- Use cold pressed sunflower oil in salads, baking and cooking.
- Increase nutrition in bread and muffins by adding sunflower seeds as you bake.
- Coat chicken or fish with ground sunflower seeds for added goodness.
- At the grocery store, look for healthy snacks made with sunflower oil and/or includes sunflower seeds.
Mind your body, give it SoL.