Looking for a new dinner idea? Aren’t we all? Here’s a good one to try – it’s delicious, easy to put together, and easily modified to whatever ingredients you have on hand.
Egg Cornbread Bake
Inspired by some delicious looking dishes on Healthy Tipping Point – such as this and this http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2012/12/quite-a-pair.html , I decided to try my own version.
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (can substitute for gluten free or all purpose)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/8 t baking soda
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/2 T agave
- 1/2 cup SoL Unsweetened
- 1 egg white
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 can refried beans (I used Amy’s brand)
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 cup of raw spinach, diced
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup SoL Unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cornbread layer: Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add in the wet ingredients and then once combined, fold in the frozen corn kernels.
- Add the cornbread mixture to the bottom of a 9×9 baking pan.
- Put the 9×9 baking pan into the oven for 11 minutes.
- Prepare the egg layer: combine the bell pepper, spinach, eggs, SoL, basil and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Remove cornbread from oven. Spread the refried beans across the cornbread in an even layer.
- Pour egg layer on top of the refried bean/cornbread layers.
Bake for 15 minutes at 350.
Increase oven temp to 400 and cook for an additional 8 minutes or so (until the eggs are set).
Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
You could easily substitute the veggies and spices for a variety of other flavor combinations. Here are a few to try:
- Pesto, artichoke and goat cheese
- Asparagus, sun dried tomatoes and hummus
- Curry powder, chickpeas and tomatoes
Enjoy! Let us know if you try it out!