You’re going to love the taste and flavor of this healthier banana bread recipe, full of sumptuous taste and lasting flavor.
- 2 cups gluten-free baking mix flour*
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda, omit if it is included in the flour mix
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of dried fruit, consider using cherries and cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups of over-ripe mashed banana (3 – 4 large)
- 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup of Sol Sunflower Beverage, Vanilla flavor
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup of lightly flavored oil, such as canola or grapeseed (used in this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 medium loaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, position oven rack to center. Spray two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans with flour or grease and flour.
- To start toast the sunflower seeds, with the cinnamon, in a dry pan on medium for 5 to 10 minutes, until there is a nutty cinnamon smell.
- Then whisk the egg, add the mashed banana, sugar, Sol vanilla, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Next, in a large bowl whisk the flour and salt. Add your dried fruit and coat with the flour mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and carefully stir until just moistened, batter will be wet.
- Pour the mixture into the two prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle the cinnamon coated sunflower seeds on top of the batter.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After cooling for 10 minutes in the pan transfer to a wire cooling rack, enjoy warm or cool.
The bread can be stored at room temperature for two days, or frozen and reheated. To thaw, allow to come to room temperature and put in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes to warm up and toast the top.
* The brand used contained milk solids and levening. Please read all labels carefully. Feel free to use your own favorite gluten-free flour.