If we may say so ourselves, this mouth-watering recipe will knock your socks off! Vegan and Gluten-Free, and loaded with healthy nutrients, this dish will delight your guests year-round.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of vegan spread
- 1/3 cup of SoL Sunflower Beverage, Original flavor
- 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- juice from half an orange
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup whole or chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup of vegan spread, softened or slightly melted
- 1/2 cup of gluten free flour, I used almond
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
Yield – 4 single servings or one large 9 inch pie pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, position oven rack to center. Spray four individual ramekin bowls, oven safe, or a 9 inch pie pan.
- Cook the sweet potatoes. You can peel and boil, bake, or even microwave. If you microwave, pierce with a knife and cook for 15 minutes on high turning often until they are soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, slowly heat the SoL Sunflower Beverage, Original flavor, whisked with the tapioca flour until the mixture has thickened (similar to sweetened condensed milk). Add warm potato flesh to a mixing bowl. Put in the spread, Sol mixture, maple syrup, orange juice, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using an electric mixer whisk until incorporated.
- Mix the topping ingredients together using a spoon or with your hand.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into your individual ramekins or your baking dish, then evenly sprinkle the topping. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, broil on high for 2 – 5 minutes until the topping is bubbly and browned. Allow to cool for 5–10 minutes and serve hot.
Note: this is a very flexible recipe and can be tweaked to your liking, i.e. reduce the sugar, eliminate orange juice, use your favorite flour, etc. Have fun and enjoy!