Regardless of the time of year, there’s nothing quite like waking up to delicious pancakes to start the day off right. And rather than using packaged mixes and store-bought toppings, it doesn’t take much extra effort to make this favorite from scratch using fresh wholesome (and healthier) ingredients. Give this one a try soon!
- 1 and 1/4 cups of whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed meal
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 and 3/4 cups of SoL Sunflower Beverage, Vanilla
- 1/4 cup of grape seed oil, or lightly flavored oil
Berry Syrup (optional, but highly recommended)
- 2 and 1/2 cups of berries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Pinch of salt
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the SoL Sunflower Beverage and the oil, then whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently stir in your wet ingredients, folding and turning gently, just until the flour mixture is moistened. Over-mixing can result in a chewy pancake.
- Combine all the berry syrup ingredients in a small saucepan, and heat on medium high until bubbling. Reduce heat to light simmer and stir often for about ten minutes. The berries should burst, with the liquid reducing over time. Remove from heat and let cool a bit before serving.
- Preheat a non-stick pan or griddle to medium heat, and coat with non-stick spray. Ladle batter onto griddle, roughly a 1/4 cup per pancake, cook about two minutes each side. Serve immediately with berry syrup or maple syrup.