Who knew that dinner-time meal staples identified as comfort food could be made healthier with the addition of ingredients designed to not only reduce calories, but also insure top flavor and deliciousness? This recipe is certain to delight everyone in the family.
- 2 lbs of ground meat, this recipe used 1 lb of beef and 1 lb of pork
- 6 slices of white bread, broken up
- 1 cup of SoL Sunflower Beverage, Unsweetened
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 – 8 slices of thin sliced bacon
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried mustard
- A few dashes of Worcestershire
- A few dashes of Tabasco, to your liking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, pour the Sol onto the broken up white bread and let soak. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. To the bowl with soaked bread, add the meat, freshly chopped parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Finally, add the beaten eggs. With clean hands, work the mixture until fully combined, trying not to over mix.
- Combine all the ingredients for the glaze and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Form the meatloaf mixture into a long loaf and place on a broiler pan (this helps to drain the fat). Coat the loaf with a third of the glaze. Place the bacon strips across the top of the loaf and tuck under the bottom.
- Place meatloaf in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, until bacon begins to crisp. Remove from oven, and coat with another 1/3 of the sauce, bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining sauce if desired.
The meatloaf is very juicy and reheats well. Enjoy!