The combination of zesty lemon and sweet blueberry make these bars taste decadent, yet they’re still light enough for the perfect summer treat. Bonus: They’re both gluten- and dairy-free. Blueberries have one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, so it’s good to work them into your diet any way you can.
3 1/2 Packed Cups of Blanched Almond Flour (or another nut or seed flour)
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
2 Tablespoons of SoL Sunflower Beverage (Original or Unsweetened)
2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
Lemon Zest (from 1 small lemon)
1 Cup of Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Line a bread pan (aka a loaf pan) with a sheet of parchment paper allowing the edges to come well up the sides. If you don’t have a large loaf pan you might can use 8 x 8 square pan instead.
2. In a food processor OR a bowl mix together the Almond Flour, Granulated Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt, Milk, Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest. In the food processor- turn it on briefly until the mixture becomes crumbly (pea sized crumbs are preferable) If mixing by hand- stir the ingredients until they also become crumbly. You can also mix until you feel the dough thicken and then break into crumbs when placing in the pan.
3. Sprinkle a layer of crumbs into your prepared bread pan. Add a layer of blueberries. Add another layer of crumbs on top of the blueberries. Continue layering this way until you have used up all of your crumbs and berries.
4. Using the edges of the parchment, lightly press down to form the crumbs into a cohesive bar in the pan. (Note: don’t press down too hard or else your bars may end up very dense- but do make sure to press down enough that the bars hold together, or they will end up crumbly after they have baked).
5. Place the pan into the oven on the middle rack and bake 40-45 minutes until the edges are dark golden brown. Remove from oven- allow to cool and then slice into bars.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, slice into bars and enjoy!
*Store bars in a sealed bag or airtight container in the refrigerator.