There’s nothing like the taste of coconut in the summer—but pair it with banana and it’s even better! This homemade, healthier version of Banana Coconut ice cream is the perfect treat on a hot summer day.
*Tip: Use bananas that are very ripe for a rich flavor.
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup sugar
4 cups SoL Original Sunflower Beverage
6 egg yolks
2 cups half & half
1 (15 oz) can cream of coconut
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 bananas, mashed
*Yields 2 ½ quarts
1. Bake coconut in pan at 350°, occasionally stirring, ~10 minutes or until browned.
2. Combine sugar, egg yolks, and SoL in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; cook, whisking constantly, ~20 minutes or until mixture is thick and will coat a spoon—do not let the mixture boil.
3. Remove mixture from heat; stir in toasted coconut, half-and-half, cream of coconut, and vanilla. Fold in banana. Cover and let cool for 3 hours.
4. Pour the mixture into freezer container of a 1-gallon hand-turned or electric ice-cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Pack the freezer with more ice and rock salt, and let sit 1 hour before serving. Garnish with toasted sweetened coconut flakes, if desired. Enjoy!