[Brought to you by our friend Lee at FitFoodieFinds:]
There is something about holiday flavors. Not only do they taste good, but they bring back happy memories, warming the soul. Gingerbread is my hands down favorite. It’s slightly sweet and spicy and reminds me of home. I have incorporated gingerbread into one of my favorite Christmas morning breakfasts: Homemade Waffles!
In this recipe I have made some healthy alterations. First and foremost, there is only a tablespoon of sweetener (molasses) in this recipe, and it’s for the taste! Second, I used coconut oil in place of canola or vegetable oil for a less refined oil. And third- I used SoL Sunflower Beverage in place of milk for a lactose-free option.
My personal favorite way to eat a waffle is topped with maple syrup, a little butter, and homemade granola for crunch! Other delicious topping ideas include: nut butter, nuts, seeds, honey, agave nectar, and fresh or dry fruit.
• 1 cup ½ cup Gluten Free Baking Flour
• 2 tsp Baking Powder
• 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 2t Cake spice
• 1t Ground Ginger
• 1 tsp Cinnamon
• 1 Tablespoon Molasses
• 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil, room temperature
• 3/4 cup SoL Original Sunflower Beverage
• 2 Organic Eggs, large
1. Begin by preheating your waffle iron to medium.
2. Next, in a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients).
3. Then, add in wet ingredients and stir until combined.
4. Once waffle maker is completely heated, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Then, pour batter onto waffle maker, close, and flip. Let cook for about 1 and ½ to 2 minutes. Flip waffle maker and open. If it needs a little be more time to cook, close and flip over, let cook for about 20-30 seconds longer.
5. Use non-stick tongs to remove waffle from iron.
Recipe and Photography Credited To: Lee Hersh
Lee is the recipe developer, photographer, and blogger behind the blog FitFoodieFinds. She is a local Minnesotan girl, sharing easy recipes that make healthy food taste good and look good! Follow FitFoodieFinds Blog, Twitter, and Facebook for more great recipes.