Are you looking for a healthier version of the creamy pasta dishes you love? If so, you have to give this recipe a try. It is completely dairy free, the sauce is made using SOL Sunflower beverage instead of heavy cream or cheese like many other pasta recipes. The combination of homemade roasted tomatoes, garlic and basil make for a delicious and incredibly flavorful dish. It is easy to make and it is a much lighter option than most pasta dishes. It is the perfect summertime meal!
3 cups grape tomatoes, halved
10 ounces pasta
12 ounces chicken sausage (any variety), sliced
2 medium shallots, diced
8 large garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper
3-4 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
2.5 cups unsweetened SOL Sunflower beverage
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and toss tomatoes in a bit of olive oil and salt. Place cut side up on a parchment-lined baking sheet, bake for 20min and set aside.
2. In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil and sauté chicken sausage until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, shallots and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in 3-4 Tbsp. flour and mix with whisk. Once combined, slowly mix in the SOL a little at a time so no clumps form. Add another pinch of salt and pepper, bring to a simmer and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes to thicken.
5. Once the sauce has thickened add in the sausage, pasta and roasted tomatoes and stir until the mixture is heated.
6. Serve immediately, garnish with fresh basil.